Thursday, August 20, 2009

Did Whole Foods Betray It's Base?

I am a finicky shopper. Or actually I am a penny pincher shopper. But I also want quality for my dollars. I don't shop exclusively at any one grocery store: meat from Whole Foods, vegetables from a locally owned small grocery store, non-perishables from a big box. I generally find Whole Foods prices to be competitive, frequently less than any of the other places I shop. Great customer service. Employees seem to genuinely enjoy working there.

Several days ago, the quirky CEO of Whole Foods published an op-ed piece in the Wall Street Journal. Not exactly a publication read by his market segment clientele, which are stereotyped as Volvo driving, latte drinking liberals (by the way, my brother has driven a Volvo almost his whole driving life, he drinks lattes, and he is a conservative). So, John Mackey, the CEO, opines that the health care reforms currently being bandied about are all wrong. Worst of all is the idea of a public option. Instead, Mackey, a self-described libertarian, suggests less governmental intrusion, more self reliance (eat your vegetables!), and of course the preverbal tax credit or deduction.

Instantly the Internet was filled with calls to boycott Whole Foods because Mackey violated, apparently, one of the progressive-ideology fundamental beliefs: health care must be reformed and we must have either single payor or a public option.

I don't agree with Mackey. But I do believe, especially as an employer and a successful businessman, we should listen to his opinions. And he may have something worth while to add to the debate. But the knee-jerk reaction of "if you don't agree with me I am going to walk away," is childish. It only increases the already Balkanized territory of American policy discussions.

I simply do not understand people whose beliefs are on either side of the middle and who demonize opinions other than those that are lock-step in agreement with them. I think about reading the Federalist Papers and the spirited debates among really smart men, who appreciated and valued their differences as much as their similarities. I think of John Adams and Thomas Jefferson. We have devolved to become Jim Jones, indoctrinated into mini-cults of nodding heads in agreement, fearful of different opinions and values. Indulging in ugly stereotypes.

Great meat, fantastic employees, well stocked shelves, highly engaged local philanthropy, nutritious food (and fantastic pastries). Nope. You'll find me at Whole Foods, encouraging John Mackey to speak his mind any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment